Sunday, March 22, 2009

Visiting Mom on Her 68th Birthday

Well, Friday was my mom's birthday. She turned 68 and I decided to take the day off and ride to see her in Lenoir NC. I wanted to surprise her and deliver her birthday card to her personally. I thought it would be a good thing for a son to do. And I thought, why don't I ride to see her. It seemed like a nice thing to do and besides, it is a good excuse to ride, right?

The plan was for me to leave home around 10 am. That way it would have time to warm up a little. I knew it was going to be a little chilly. I found out that mom was not going to be home around noon. so I had to get up and be on the road by 8 am. Now normally, riding when it is around 34 degrees is not an issue. I usually dress for a ride like that. The ride would take me about 2 hrs one way. Besides, it was going to be around 60 later in the day(at least that is what the weather man said).

So I left home and it was a little nippy. I actually got about a mile from home and thought, I might need to go back and get my jacket liner. I kept hearing that little voice inside of me telling me, "You are going to need that liner". Apparently, I am deaf and failed to listen to that little feller. The bottom line is I froze my butt off all the way to my mom's house. I even stopped about half way to her house to thaw out. That didn't even help. Oh well, I learned a listen. Listen to that little voice. It will keep me warm next time.

The ride itself was great. It was sunny and I decided to take 64 west off of I40. I love going that way because of the nice country roads and there is very little traffic. There is a lot of rolling hills and small towns along the way. It is a very relaxing ride.

Anyway, once I got to mom's house, I surprised her with her card and gift. She could not believe I rode all that way just to see her. What can I say, she is my mom and I love the little lady. Below is my mom with her new birthday card and of course, cash. For some reason, mom's love cash and Walmart gift cards.

After the visit I decided to grab some lunch and I headed to the old Lenoir Mall in Lenoir. It was really sad to see the town and the old mall. It was basically dead. I remember putting on martial arts demonstrations at that mall. Now it is barely surviving.

I decided to visit the mall to visit my uncle Jerry and his wife Janice. They are two of the nicest people one could ever meet. They both own a Christian book store and deli. My uncle asked me want I was doing in Lenoir. I told him I was visiting my mom and looking for a nice place to have lunch. I told him I do what I all bikers do; they look for the closest bible book store to grab a bite. Jerry whipped me up a nice burger and we talked for about an hour. I was really nice to see him and Janice.

If you are ever in Lenoir, stop by his store and say hi. Tell him, Pappy sent you. Below is a picture of my uncle Jerry and Janice. They are good people and Jerry does make a nice burger.

After my visit with Jerry and Janice I jumped on Big Red and headed for home. By this time the temperature was around 58. It was still a little chilly from the morning ride, but it was a lot nicer going back.

All-in-all, it was a great visit to see mom, Jerry and Janice and enjoy the brisk morning air. Let's face it I froze my butt off. But hey, I learned a valuable lesson. Listen to that little voice because he is usually right.

Until next time and remember, never be too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.


No comments: