Thursday, October 05, 2006

Still Practicing Stopping

Well, I am still practicing with Big Red. I have noticed one big thing I really need to work on; stopping. As you can imagine knowing how to stop an 800+ lbs bike would be a good thing ot work on. So lately I have been working on making smooth stops. I would say about 60% of the time I do pretty good. The other 40, not so good. I have a bad tendency to look down and lean the bike to the left on my stops. Oh yeah, I take my foot off the the break to early too. It is funny, because when I was taking the motorcycle class a few months ago, my instructor kept telling me to keep my head up and look straight ahead when I go to stop. I was so bad at keeping my head up he asked if I had a neck injury. Now that is bad.

Each morning that do ride Big Red I try to get in a few extra minutes of practice on stopping. I am getting better, but it is taking me some time to break some bad habits. Of course I will need to break those habits because I could drop the bike, hit another vehicle or even worse, throw Slick off the bike. Now that would be bad.

I am sure everything will come around in time. Hey, I have only been on Big Red 3 months. Practice, practice, practice.

Until next time and enjoy the ride!

Pappy

No comments: