Friday, February 23, 2007

New Rider and Proud of It

As most people know I am a new biker and rider when it comes to motorcycles. With becoming a new biker I have learned a lot of things. One of the most important things I have learned is you can NEVER stop learning and practicing when it comes to riding a motorcycle. You see, when I started riding my GL1800 Goldwing (Big Red) on July 1 2004 I was pretty nervous. No, actually I was very nervous. I had been practicing with a small Honda Shadow 700 for about 2 months before jumping on my Goldwing and that was the best thing I could have ever done. I realized that no matter how much I ride or even how many years I ride, I will never get to the point where I feel completely comfortable riding a motorcycle. To me, that is a good thing. It will keep me sharp and on my toes. It will keep me alert and best of all; it will help me from killing me and my wife. I see some many riders that have been riding for years do some of the dumbest things. Many experienced riders speed, take unnecessary risks and worst of all set a poor example for the new riders that want to learn from them (Believe me motorcycle veterans, new riders are watching you). I just hope that I never get to the point where I set a poor example for other riders, family and friends that want to take up the great sport of motorcycle riding. I actually joined the GWRRA for the camaraderie, fun, but most of all safety. One of the best things I like to do is ride my motorcycle (Just ask my wife). I plan to keep reminding myself that I am a new and inexperienced rider and proud of it.

Until next time and enjoy the ride.

Pappy

No comments: