Sunday, January 07, 2007

Practice, Practice, Practice...

Yesterday was a great day. Some of our chapter members (Andrew, Anthony, Brian, Craig, Melinda and Donna) met at a local church parking lot to do a little practicing, courtesy of my old motorcycle mentor Craig. Craig wanted to demonstrate and show the rest of us some helpful motorcycle skills that we could practice on our own. I know I was all for that. Craig give us some tips on how to handle tight turns, braking and my favorite, how to keep my big mellon up when I am riding (I have always had a problem with that). Even the instructor from the riders course I took asked me if I had a neck injury. So what does that tell you?

Anyway, we practiced for about 2 hours and from what I heard from the others, it was very helpful. I know it was for me. After the practice session Anthony and Brian got an opportunity to ride a GL1800 for the first time. Anthony jumped on Andrew's bike and Brian jumped on Craig's. I think they are both hooked now. I see 2 more GL1800's coming into our chapter in the next few months. I will keep everyone posted on that news.

After the session I headed back home to pick up Slick to see if she wanted to go out to her favorite pizza joint, Bill's Pizza. Bill's Pizza is located in Archdale in an old building near Craig's house. The place is pretty old, but the food and service is great there. Our favorite meal there is the small salad's and pizza. Their pizza is one of our favorites.

While we were at Bill's Pizza, a couple of bikers came in and asked who owned the big red bike in the parking lot. Since Slick and I were the only 2 people in the place and wearing Goldwing jackets, one of the bikers guessed it was us. Who said bikers aren't shape? They wanted to tell us that they liked the bike. I thanked the gentlemen and realized that I get that a lot of great comments on Big Red when Slick and I are out and about. I know I will get more comments when I finish decking Big Red out around June. I am looking forward to that and seeing how that turns out myself.

After our great meals, Slick and I headed back down 62, toward 421 and back toward home. On the way home Slick and I were talking about how fast the Goldwing's could actually go. I told her that I would love to take Big Red on a strip of road where I could LEGALLY punch the bike to really see it's capability. I told her that I knew it could do 100 mph when no problem. She said hey dumby, the speedometer goes up to 150. She said that should tell you something. She then told me to punch it. I was going about 35 on a back road and so I find a good safe place to punch it a little. I hit the gas and in a matter of a couple of seconds I was over 80 mph. She said she felt that and wanted to do it again. I told her we will have to hold off on that until next time.

As for today, I hope to pick up some free Wing World magazines from an old chapter couple members that sold their bike and trailor. They are giving away every issue of Wing World magazine since 1998. I told them I would take them off their hands. Slick and I enjoy the stories in the magazine and it would be nice to look at some old issues and see how much the bikes have changed. I also plan to try to get in a little practice in at GTCC today if the rain will hold off. I want to practice some of skills that the old man (Craig) was showing me yesterday. That should be fun.

Until next time and enjoy the ride!

Pappy

No comments: