Friday, July 21, 2006

NC and VA Trip

Well, I took my first long distance (long distance for me) trip on Big Red. I stated out in Jamestown and then headed up to Martinville VA. From there headed west to Stuart VA. Once I got to Stuart the ride got interesting. Stuart is a small town and there where I got a taste of some nice curvy roads. Actually, I was about 10 miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was very tempted to go to the BRP, but I didn't want to be gone all day. Below is a picture that a cross country bike rider took of me over one of the overlooks. I returned the favor for him.


There was one thing I didn't plan for. Since I was riding solo I knew I needed to call Slick to let her know I was okay. If anyone is heading that way, there is no cellular phone coverage. I wasn't able to call Slick until I was heading back and got to Madison NC off of highway 311.

On the trip I actually saw a small black bear crossing the road. I kind of expect deer, but not black bears. The roads were nice in the country and there was very little traffic. The weather was nice and I wasn't that hot until I had to stop for water. Then I felt the heat. The total ride was a little under 200 miles and it took me about 4 1/2 hours. It was a nice ride. I just wished Slick could have had an opportunity to enjoy it with me. I kind a like her!

Until next time and happy riding!

Pappy

No comments: